Using a scale based on average annual base salary, career opportunities rating and number of job openings, career website Glassdoor just released its list of the best jobs in America. And, little surprise, of the 25 they list, a number of them are in the world of healthcare.
But what is surprising is just what positions they list in the field. Physicians don’t make the list at all, for example. Neither do many of the other “top expert” jobs, such as surgeon, that get a lot of the recognition in America.
In fact, much like our own surprising data about the surprising professions in the medical field that are best at helping diagnose illness on our site, it is the “less acknowledged” professions that have received the highest marks.
Here are the top healthcare professions and their rankings on the list:
- Physician Assistant – Glassdoor Job Score: 4.8
- Number of Job Openings: 45,484
- Average Base Salary: $111,376
- Career Opportunities Rating: 3.5
- Physical Therapist – Glassdoor Job Score: 4.3
- Number of Job Openings: 27,579
- Average Base Salary: $64,806
- Career Opportunities Rating: 3.2
- Nurse Practitioner – Glassdoor Job Score: 4.2
- Number of Job Openings: 15,341
- Average Base Salary: $95,171
- Career Opportunities Rating: 3.1
What this means for the overall health field, and especially for physicians, will surely be a topic of discussion as time passes. But for now, it’s great to see that some of the “other” medical professions are getting their due.
And if you want to see the full list you can check out Glassdoor’s post.
Are you in healthcare? Do you want to help solve some of the hardest medical mysteries in the world? Join CrowdMed’s team of Medical Detectives.